Wednesday 23 October 2013

Milks... Which one and why?

At my house we have no less than 5 varieties of milk. Well, 6 if you include my husband's organic cows milk, but I try not to think about that...

Rice Milk: I buy my rice milk from Aldi, and I am really the only one who drinks this. I don't tend to give it to the kids, simply because it is so low in fat, and I don't think that growing children, aged, 1, 3 and 4 are in need of a low fat milk! I love the taste of rice milk, and it is the milk that I drink the most.

Organic Soy Milk: I also buy this milk from Aldi. I find that it is soooo think and creamy, that it is perfect for cooking. We don't drink soy milk, simply because I believe that soy may not be the best for us (I'm still researching this...), but it is honestly the best for cooking with. 

Unsweetened Almond Milk: I have recently introduced this, especially for my youngest son, Henry, simply because I am always trying to find ways for the kids to have less sugar. Henry will often drink more than a litre of milk per day, and so, I try to give him this milk, or mix it with the below two. I will also use this in smoothies, and in porridge. 

Organic Almond Milk: My kids drink either this or...

Organic Oat Milk: We sometimes will use this in smoothies.

Friends (interestingly, they have all been meat eaters) have suggested for me to make my own Almond Milk, and I have considered it, but it just seems a little too expensive, and a lot too time consuming. Between my 3 (soon to be 4) children and myself) we consume about 2 or three litres of milk per day, and as the kids get older, this will only increase. 



What kind of milk do you use? What do you use it for, and why? Can you suggest any other ways to use my current milks? I am always trying to find ways to evolve our diets, and any suggestions will be helpful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment