Monday 21 October 2013

Tofu Scrambled 'Eggs'

Having been vegan now for over 2 years, I don't have much of an issue craving non-vegan foods, that is, until I am pregnant! 
I am currently halfway through my second vegan pregnancy (my fourth pregnancy overall), and I have been craving eggs! 
Luckily, my tofu scrambled eggs hits the spot every time. It's texture and flavour is similar to scrambled eggs, and then I add mustard powder to give it an extra kick. 
The secret is adding your sides: mushrooms, spinach, hash browns, even baked beans, and of course, toast, to make it seem even more authentic, especially for any omnivores you happen to be dining with.

Please excuse the sloppiness of the photo- I couldn't waste time on perfecting a photo- I had to eat! 
Also, please note, I am in no way taking credit for this recipe, as there are hundreds of variations on the web, it is simply my twist on a great dish. I wish I could remember where I originally found the recipe, but it was too long ago. 

Ingredients:
Classic tofu 
Turmeric
Mustard powder
Olive oil
Vegan butter
Salt and pepper
Nutritional yeast (optional) 

Method:
Pat the tofu dry with paper towel, and gently mash with a fork in a bowl. Add about 1tsp each of turmeric,mustard powder and nutritional yeast, and a dash of olive oil. 
Heat the butter in a pan and add the mixture. Try not to stir too much, as it will only turn it to mush. It should take less than 5 minutes for it to cook. 
Season with freshly ground salt and pepper, and any sides that take your fancy. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment