Thursday 13 November 2014

Some of my favourite safe products

Becoming additive free can be really daunting. I know that when I realised that we would become an additive free household, I stood back and looked at my pantry- feeling overwhelmed. Where would I start? 

I threw everything that had additives in the bin. I didn't even question it. The products, no matter how expensive, tasty, or useful had become a poison that was killing our son. 

Drastic? Maybe. But if you knew what we had been through with our son, then you would do it too. But really, should we be throwing our money at companies that put this crap in our foods, and then market them to our kids? I'd much rather support a company that has wholesome foods, even if it does cost more.

So below I have taken a quick series of photos of random products in my pantry that are additive free. As I find more great products, I will create new posts.

I'm also very interested in knowing about the great products that you have found. There is nothing better than a recommendation from a friend!


Jam. Good ol' raspry jam. You can get this from Aldi. 
Kidney beans and pears in juice. A great base for meals. These are also Aldi.
Fruit wise fruit straps, these are from Woollies, and only cost $5 for 10.
Rice crumbs. Next time you go to the shops pick up the "ordinary" bread crumbs and read the ingredients. It's like a novel. A novel written in another language. By a dyslexic author. These are from Coles or Woollies. 
Coconut water is great for smoothies and an alternative to juice for the kids. The natural sweetness means that you don't have to add a sweetener to your smoothie. This brand is available at Aldi, and is about half the price of coconut water anywhere else. 
Pure maple syrup, well this is really a no- brainer. It's so delicious. We have it everyday on our oats with a spoon of butter and some rice milk. You can buy pure maple syrup anywhere, but the cheapest is from Aldi.
Thickened coconut cream. I just discovered this in Woolies. I haven't used it in anything yet, other than my infant daughter's apple purée. I can't wait to try it on pancakes with jam. 
BBQ sauce. Of course, when you become additive free the first thing you throw out is all of your sauces. Which is a shame, because who doesn't love sauce? This BBQ sauce has a really lovely natural flavour, that is different to what I am used to, but I am really enjoying it. I have been using this in my cooking to add flavour. You can get this at Woolies or Coles.
The peanut butter is from Aldi and the soy sauce is from Woolies/Coles. Make sure you purchase the Naturally Brewed soy sauce. 
Our kids don't have cordial, but my husband and I love to have something sweet to drink from time to time (we don't have soft-drinks in the house), but the only cordial that I have been able to find without Aspartame has been Ribena. Until now. Not only is this lovely cordial aspartame free, but it is also additive free. It is sweetened with stevia, which I find has a strange aftertaste, but I am getting used to it. I got this from Woolies.

Well, there is my quick little pantry run around. I hope that you find this useful. Please let me know how your additive free journey is going, or for any blog requests!

Lx

No comments:

Post a Comment